Tuesday 25 November 2008

To purchase a sheep

I'm back again for the second time today, interrupting my regularly scheduled novelling to bring you this. Produced by my Grandpa (an avid tracer of our family tree) and written on a typewriter, I personally find it incredibly amusing.

Goodnoe Hills, Washington
May 11 1933

Mr. William Kennedy,
Portland, Oregon.

Dear Mr. Kennedy:

I have your literature concerning your sheep company, and I am quite interested inasmuch as I am thinking I would like to get a sheep and go into the sheep business this summer.

I wonder if you have and sample sheep you give away. Even a small one would be all right, as I will have to keep it in my office until I can get some pasture for it, where I can put it out and have it pasturized.

I would like a nice medium-weight, all-wool sheep in stripes, if you have them - one I can skin and make a Pendleton jacket out of later on.

When you skin a sheep once is that the end of it, or can they be skinned regularly like a human being?

I have an old sheepskin in my office I have been living off for twenty-seven years, and I thought that if I had a whole sheep I might do better.

I see by the papers that there is a lot of trouble these days about the tariff on wool; so, if you can pick out a sheep that hasn't any tariff on the wool, it might save me cleaning it when it comes here. Does this tariff come back after you have once got rid of it?

And another thing, don't send me a U sheep because they have signs on the street here that say that you can't make a U turn and I couldn't get one to the office very well if I couldn't make it turn.

Write further particulars.

Very respectfully,

Wooden U. Liketono (sgd)



This is exactly as I got it - maybe the 1933 version of a trick email?
Annie



2 comments:

Merenwen said...

That was pretty funny :)

Jerod Jarvis said...

That's awesome...